Monday, September 8, 2008

REMEMBERING 9/11






Everyone has their stories where they were on September 11th. As for me, i was in New York serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I had lived in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Long Island. Being from the West Coast, this whole experience was quite an interesting one. With the hot and humid summers to the bone-chilling winters and the long days of knocking on doors to share the Good Word only to find that MAYBE one person that day might consider pondering the heart-felt sincere testimony that took you such courage to share. We were invited to pray with others and we were also kicked out of buildings. Some areas were scary and I have NO DOUBT angels were around as we walked in the late night or mid-day for that matter. Little did I know tha the people i should have been wary of were the terrorists that I possibly rubbed shoulders with. Those who helped bring the towers down and who wreaked havoc on our precious country.


After being kicked out of a building, my companion had the idea to knock on the door to a firehouse. They were reluctant to let us in. "Only if you need a drink or need to use the restroom" they told us. Soon enough we were teaching them about Jesus Christ and the plan of salvation. It must have gone well because they then offered us desserts and let us slide down the fire pole! The evening ended with an exhilerating ride home in the firetruck (which was only a few blocks). I have heard that many firefighters from the Park Slope dept were lost on Sept 11th. I am currently trying to find out if these men were lost in the towers that day. Whether or not they are alive, it was an honor to teach those men who i AM SURE were willing to give their life that day to save another.


Matt and I were actually serving in Staten Isalnd during Sept 11th. Manhatten was basically in our front yard. We would ride the ferries daily back and forth to the city to find people to teach. That DAY was strange. We did not have a TV in our apartment so we were not glued to the TV like the rest of America. We turned on our radio just in time to hear that the first tower had fallen. We headed over to the elders apartment to be together and to feel safe. We were then told to go among the people and try and give comfort to those who needed it. That night Matt and another missionary decided to go over to Ground Zero to do whatever they could. I remember getting a call from Matt that night and he was in tears. Sobbing over the surreal scene he had just witnessed. He said it looked like a movie set. Dust inches high. A somber place. And no one to be rescued. They had all died in the towers. He cried all of the way home. Matt has kept his protective suit and mask he wore at Ground Zero. Something tangible to remind him of that experience..not just of what he SAW but what he FELT. I am so afraid of my memories fading of that time. That is probably why I am sharing it on my blog. My favorite picture I took is the one of the flag on the fence with the city behind it and pictures of those missing. i hope we can take that day to remember and pray for MANY people whose heart are STILL aching from that day.

6 comments:

Sarie said...

I know! I think every year, the world will forget a little more about that day. I was watching a documentary about it the other day.... it's hard to think about. It's such a senseless tragedy. Why?? In the name of religion and hate? It's so hard to think about. Lori, you're amazing. I can't believe you were so close to that tragedy. You've told me about this a couple of times before, but I'm glad you're reminding me.
love to you.

McGinnis Family said...

I too have very vivid memories of that day, where I was, and what I was doing. It was DEVASTATING!!! Although I was not in NYC at that time, I had only been home for 7 months and knew people affected by that terrible day! How grateful I am for my testimony and things I know. I too hope I don't forget how I felt that day and how precious life is.

Unknown said...

whew. ditto to everything. I think about that day, every year. And I mean really think. I remember almost every tiny detail. Interesting. I hope I also never forget. Love you Lori

Ruth said...

Hey Lori, I remember that day too. I was living in Provo with Hna. Aldous. We didn't have a t.v. either but her mom called us that morning so we turned up the radio. All day BYU students were sitting around the t.v.s on campus. I always wondered what it was like for our friends back in NYNYS. That's pretty cool that Matt got to go help out at Ground Zero. (Great picture of the flag with the city!) Thanks for posting this. It's nice to remember that day and all the blessings we take for granted.

Mindy Goorchenko said...

Wow, Lori. I didn't know this about you. I think you were an angel...it sounds like several of those firefighters you ministered to earlier that day receive the Lord in the last moments of their lives on earth...I'm deeply touched.

My husband and I have been watching several documentaries that I recorded when they played on the history channel on 9/11. We vividly remember that morning and never want to forget.

Us5McEuens said...

Someone from our ward was a missionary there at that time too. I don't know his first name but his last name is Colvin. Maybe you knew him.