Wednesday, September 19, 2007

SOME SERIOUS QUESTIONS


So today when Hayley and i were driving to school she asked me if she saw Daddy and i get married. So i told her that she was up in heaven watching. This was a little confusing. So I told her that mommys and daddys can make babies and that we had not made her yet. (My mouth went dry, I rolled my eyes and kicked myself because i knew which question was next.) Of course, she asked "how do you make babies?" So I thought for quite some time and realized that I could seriously scar her innocent little mind. So then I did what any good and bright parent would do...I told her to ask her preschool teacher. Then I told her I was kidding and proceeded to explain in a very vague way (with no body parts involved...she's only 4!) And she seemed like she understood...and then she asked if she could watch!!!! Advice anyone?

4 comments:

Sarie said...

OH MY GOSH I think we have some things to talk about Lori... That is one curious girl.

noelle said...

you're in a pickle - i seriously do not know what to tell you. but at least now i do know to tell anna, "no, you weren't born yet" if she ever asks the question to avoid the whole thing!

Derrick said...

LORI,
I havent read it yet, but I know my sister highly recommends How to talk to your child about sex by Richard and Linda Eyre. They have you give them the talk at age 8 but I know there are some precursor things to talk to them about leading up to that. So, when I come out to Utah next weekend lets hit deseret book and buy it together. Moral support for the fun years ahead of us as mommies!! AHHHH!!! Theyre already here for you!! But honestly Lori, you asked for it. I would have never said anything about making babies, just maybe having them.... I don't know but you are so funny!! Cant wait to see you and your cute girls and your daredevil husband!!!
love, ang

karen hummel said...

lori, what an opprotunity you have to be an open and honest mom. we don't get to pick when to have the tough conversations, and we usually get caught off guard. if you don't have an answer at the exact moment a question is asked, tell you kids just that. that you need time to think about it and let them know. but, don't wait too long though. tell her something like "mommy and daddy love eachother and we wanted a baby and then you grew in my tummy, isn't that cool!" if she is leading on that she knows more then you are offering, then continue the conversation. but at age 4, i would keep it light. you will revisit this several times as a parent, and you will have time to elaborate later on, but always BE HONEST!! we have two choices as parents. our kids can learn tough answers from us or thier friends. i choose they learn from their parents. by tackling tough and uncomfortable questions when they come up, you can build an open, honest, trusting relationship between you and your daughters to last a life time! let them know you are growing as a parent as well. when you spend time talking with your kids and you are honest, they will feel so loved. tackle the tough stuff when it comes up each day. i love this quote. "each day is a gift, that's why they call it the present." good luck! we get one, just one shot at raising caring, honest, loving, decent children.